With playoff football dominating the weekend, I thought it appropriate to start our comics review with Baseball Superstars #2: Bo Jackson. Released in those halcyon times known as the early 90s, Revolutionary Comics made a serious of “unauthorized and proud of it” comics around a great many ballplayers, at one point banking on Steve Avery to pay the bills. Sadly, the company is no longer around to produce such classic work as this one.
Hoping to give direction to America’s kids, the creators made sure to hit home with important messages about partying:
Jumping back in time, and after witnessing Bo Jackson give an impassioned speech about the importance of education that halts a high school race war, we’re treated to even more of the awesome powers of Bo’s intimidation:
You tell ‘em, Bo!
After learning of many of Bo’s most heroic deeds, including buying a dying kid ice cream, we reach what must have been the writer’s greatest turn of phrase:
Yep, Bo knows bows. I’m surprised they didn’t manage to squeeze in Bo’s knowledge of bonobos, or pygmy chimpanzee.
It may seem like the comic hardly focuses on Bo’s playing career, and well, you’d be kind of right. Half the time he’s shown as a Royal, it’s the same image just repeated over and over. They do take the time to have Bo threaten his children in an oddly specific way, however:
The comic came out in 1992, the year Jackson missed for his football injury, and so it ends with Bo joining the White Sox and telling us his rehabilitation is going well. Sadly, we know it’s not true. Despite hitting 29 home runs in limited action during 1993 and ‘94, Jackson never returns to the sport after the lockout.
But instead of ending on such a down note, enjoy Bo Jackson popularizing dubstep:
Doctors Without Borders is an international medical organization that provides independent, impartial assistance in more than 60 countries to people whose survival has been threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe. Please help me and tomorrow’s guest bloggers reach our goal of $2,000 by donating here. Also, this comic is one of the prizes up for grabs, so be sure to donate if you’d like to read it for yourself.
- longlivepyrexkid reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- bosch-glm-150 reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- john-frieda-sheer-blonde-color reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- venta-de-toner-compatibles reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- canon-powershot-a3200-is reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- samsung-32-led-prezzi reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- canon-mp280-patronen reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- emiltolliver likes this
- the-north-faceonline likes this
- nmyownwords reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- jordanisntverydull reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- refryed likes this
- stationtostation likes this
- williamjhall likes this
- huggingharoldreynolds reblogged this from sportscentr
- rapnoir likes this
- findtheswagger likes this
- sportscentr reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball and added:
- tealrallythong reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- waxandmilk likes this
- sportscentr likes this
- mattzakgoldmanstacks likes this
- mycherieamour likes this
- swagmyking reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- mightyflynn likes this
- stakeswerehigh likes this
- oldtimefamilybaseball posted this