It’s coming, the third annual OTFB Blogathon for Doctors Without Borders is coming!
There will be more details as we get closer to the date, but on January 18th, 2014, I will be posting fresh, new content every half hour for 24 hours, with a whole slew of over 40 wonderful guest posters from sites like Sports on Earth, Hardball Talk, Sports Illustrated, Baseball Prospectus and others taking part the next day. And it’s all done to raise money for Doctors Without Borders. Their work to provide necessary and impartial medical aid all across the globe is truly important to me and vital in the world. And unlike some other charities out there, 86% of all donations are used for their program services like fighting HIV and cholera.
As with previous years, there will be raffles and giveaways for all people who donate, even as little as one dollar. Last year, we raised over $3,600(!). This year I think we can top $4,000.
We’re truly some of the most fortunate people on this Earth to be able to watch baseball whenever we want, buy ridiculous bobbleheads, and write blog posts about Craig Counsell, so it’s important to remember that for people in poverty-stricken and war-torn countries, they lack access to proper nutrition and medical care.
So this is your chance to give back. Here’s the link to the donation page and I’ll be posting updates and details as we get closer to the date.
Every dollar helps, so please spare what you can and help spread the word.
And if you have any questions or would like to take part, please email me.
UPDATE (1/14/13): Below are the first three waves of blogathon raffle prizes with more to come! For everyone who donates as little as one dollar, you will be entered into a raffle to win some of these great prizes.
There will be more to come so be sure to check back soon:
The long out-of-print scouting classic, Dollar Sign on the Muscle, by Kevin Kerrane, was put back into print by Baseball Prospectus at the end of last year. Not only that, but Baseball Prospectus has kindly donated five e-copies of the book to be raffled off.
Thanks to the generosity of Out of the Park Developments, 10 copies of OOTP14 and iOOTP, the mobile version of the game, will be raffled off to donators.
The game is the most powerful baseball simulation on the market, receiving an A+ when we reviewed it earlier this year.
Baseball Card Art:
Thanks to the Beau and Bryan, the two geniuses behind Baseball Card Vandals, we will be raffling off a new piece of insane, subversive, hilarious baseball card art.
Please note, the above image is merely a placeholder. The card available will not be revealed until their brand new creation is posted on the second day of the blogathon.
A selection of great bobbleheads donated by Bryan Green of Tinkers Ghost, including:
- (2) Joe Maddon Lawn Gnomes
- Clearwater Thresher’s Domonic Brown
- Clearwater Thresher’s Mike Schmidt
- Winter the Dolphin
- Los Angeles Dodgers’ Clayton Kershaw
The greatest baseball grindcore band in the world, Puig Destroyer have donated three 7” to the blogathon, ensuring that the winner of the prize will have their ears and mind blown to songs like “Five Tools, One Man,” and “Dad Hat.”
Tee-Shirts and Art Prints
Artist Aaron Dana has kindly donated a selection of his beautiful pop art baseball tees and prints, including:
William Peebles of the Huntington Baseball Co. has kindly donated four screen prints of his retro ballpark signs, reminding you to play no pepper and that no betting is allowed on the grounds.
MLB Fan Cave Prize Package
This package, courtesy of the MLB Fan Cave, perfect for all baseball fanatics, features:
- Red Sox 2013 World Series Championship Collectors Edition DVD
- Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions Bat
- MLB Fan Cave Shirt
- MLB Fan Cave Cap
- MLB Fan Cave Backpack
Enjoy $50 to spend on comics, toys, books, and art at Southern California’s greatest comic book store, House of Secrets.
Find them in person at 1930 W Olive Street in Burbank, California, check them out online and on Twitter @HOS_Burbank, and be sure to take a look at the gorgeous comics and art books they independently produce at Art of Fiction.
Bust out that record player and relax with the sweet, dulcet tones of Vin Scully pouring out of your speakers, telling the story of the 1981 Dodgers.
After that, travel back in time and listen to The Impossible Dream, narrated by Ken Coleman with Mel Parnell and Ned Martin showing up along the way to tell the story of the 1967 Boston Red Sox. Even better, the album features the hit “Yastrzemski Song” as sung by Jess Cain. Wa wa wee wa!
- Once More Around the Park by Roger Angell, a selection of his favorite pieces
- Murder in Wrigley Field by Crabbe Ever, a mystery set in aftermath of the murder of Cubs’ ace pitcher ‘Dream’ Weaver.
- Baseball is Just Baseball: The Understated Ichiro, collecting the best quotes and aphorisms of Ichiro Suzuki
- Play Ball by Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir, and Jackie Lewis, an all-ages graphic novel about a high school girl who wants to play baseball, not softball
- Baseball Superstar Comics: Nolan Ryan
- Baseball Classics #1: Frank Thomas
- The classic Freddie Prinze Jr film, Summer Catch, set in the Cape Cod League
- Slow Moe about a player finding a magical pair of eyeglasses
- The Pitcher and the Pin-Up, about, you guessed it, a pitcher and a pin-up model.
- Long Gone, a forgotten classic that is compared to Bull Durham
So please, if you haven’t donated yet to Doctors Without Borders, an organization that provides impartial assistance in more than 60 countries to people whose survival has been threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe, do so now.
- thepineapplevariations likes this
- jesse-knutson likes this
- captainlatte likes this
- wadechaney likes this
- itsjustanotherblogger likes this
- rushmalai reblogged this from cabble
- rushmalai likes this
- cabble reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- jptappen2 likes this
- koamonster34 reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- oldtimefamilybaseball reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball and added:
- jeffk116 likes this
- bookowl likes this
- sallydoodle likes this
- jenmacramos reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball and added:
- alexskillin reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball and added:
- elyapa58 likes this
- ponce24 likes this
- birhan1269 likes this
- lesliegale likes this
- mightyflynn likes this
- pitchersandpoets reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball and added:
- 42isit likes this
- toobadyouresobeautiful reblogged this from oldtimefamilybaseball
- biggerbrighterbetter likes this
- tinkersghost likes this
- kaophyre likes this
- aerogare likes this